Friday, September 19, 2008

[20/09/08] Captains

I'm currently in My Pants talking to Malina, and I remembered that next year's captains were announced yesterday. Oh, and I got house colours and music colours again, but that's not really particularly exciting, though apparently I would've gotten full music colours if I had been in Senior Choir and Koristers, event though I only got half colours for being in Senior Choir and Swing Choir. Koristers is supposed to be more prestigious, but whatever. Swing Choir works damn hard, and apparently we were the standout at the jazz soiree. I don't particularly care, but Em and Fleur were pissed off.

I'm just thinking about the portfolio captains... oh, one of the international students got International captain, and everyone was really happy about that. Apparently she acts more like one of the Aussies though, which is pretty awesome. I'm only going to comment on certain positions, as I feel that it would be unfair to make particular judgements on people I don't know. Bhairavi got music captain which was perfect. She's amazing, and I don't think Kim could be happier with that choice, especially since Anne got school captain (which was apparently all that mattered to most of the year elevens anyway) with Georgie. When Georgie didn't get house captain for her particular house (most of my friends in that house were confused with that decision) everyone knew that she would get school captain with Anne.

And as for the new captains of my house, I thought that the decision could have been better. One of the people who did get it always seems to be condescending. It's really a pity that Katie, Jenny or Tessa were chosen, because all three of them would have been great. The truth is that this year it came down to a popularity contest, though the unfortunate events of February kind of ruined Katie's chances. Last year our captains proved themselves to be truly dedicated to the house during House Swimming, when they proved to be so dedicated to the house that we broke the rules and we had three people in each relay team. Both of them swam the first and last laps. They wanted to disqualify us, but whatever.

No comments: