Thursday, July 31, 2008

[01/08/08] It isn't an orchestra without sex.

I have the formal tonight, so I should be doing some things so I can get ready - we don't have afternoon classes. But my hair and makeup appointment isn't for another 2 hours and 45 minutes. So I basically need to have a shower and all that jazz, maybe paint my nails before then. Mum suggested that I sleep, because of the concert last night, but I don't want to sleep. I'll probably be at Heather's until about 1:30 in the morning, but whatever. I actually need to eat some lunch. We're having a three course sit down dinner tonight at the formal, so maybe it can wait.

So, the concert. We have an all day rehearsal at Robert Blackwood Hall, which is at Monash university. That's always a hoot. Well, sort of. Instead of having a massed singing item for the finale, we had it for the opening, and from what people have told me, it was fantastic. I asked my dad about it and he said "Didn't you see it?" and I didn't see it because I was in it. What was after that? I think it was the junior school choir. I didn't get a program. I wonder if someone in my family received one. That would be useful rather than trying to remember everything.

Mr Hall has been great for music in the junior school. All the students were enthusiastic and the preps were adorable. So junior choir, which is years 3 to 5 (I think, so much has changed) sang something, and then some song about a princess and a dragon. This was great, because there were adults dressed as a princess and a dragon running around on stage. (It is quite windy outside. That is completely irrelevant, but oh well.) Then the junior school choir and the mini singers, which is prep to year 2 did a Sound of Music medley. I swear, this was the best concert ever. The preps were so cute that I was actually almost in tears, and Mr Hall got us all joining in with singing Eidelweiss.

After that, Kimmy made the music captain's speech as she is music captain (no duh, I'm very good at stating the obvious), and I'm glad she kept in the bit (we went through it with her) where she called the senior choir old and wrinkled. Then there was the Donald Redding orchestra (junior school) who played the Muppets' Theme which was fun, but it should've been faster. Then I think was the Cripps choir (year 6-8, our school's weird) who were good. Actually, they sang Eleanor Rigby, which was a bit high, but it was awesome because Amadeus Strings played with them. Then Amadeus played some piece that I can't remember the name of, or never knew because I don't have the program.

The last two ensembles onstage for the first half were Melodic Minors who sang the Teddy Bear Picnic. <3 that song still. My mum thought that it was a bit much to have 13 and 14 year old girls singing that song, but psh. It's a good song, who cares how old you are? I love that cartoon they used to have on the ABC to that song. There was also another really awesome one for "we all know frogs go La de da de da". Oh yeah, and there was Wind Symphony, who have always been good, but for some reason weren't as good this year. Maybe it's because of the new conductor (who is great for Stage Band), who chose an uninteresting piece.

After interval it was all about the senior school. Stage band was first up, but I honestly have no idea how they went because I was backstage with Swing Choir and we couldn't hear them. Being on stage is really different to being in a small room (once again, I state the obvious quite well) because the sound travels more, so what we were singing didn't sound as good to me as it did in rehearsal. Either way, both You Can't Stop the Beat and Defying Gravity got good responses from the audience, so I think they liked it. Senior Choir ran smoothly (I think, once again, it's hard to tell when you're performing). Koristers sounded amazing, as always. All their songs were A Capella actually.

Then there was Menuhin Orchestra, sans Sarah, because she's been sick. We don't think she can come to the formal tonight either. That was when I said "It isn't an orchestra without Sarah", and Emma thought I said sex. Hence the title. Anyway, the orchestra played one of Rachmaninoff's piano concertos for the finale, with Kim being the piano (or the person who plays it). She is honestly amazing. I am in awe of her. You know how you buy one of those classical CDs and the piano just sounds flawless? She plays like that. And when you look at her play, she does all the arm stuff that concert pianists do.

It was a good night, and we had fun at the rehearsal too. Let's just say that I was pushed off a couch, Em was then pushed off the same couch and fell on top of me, Ariane was on a sugar high and we sang 500 miles very insanely. I must be off now. I might have some lunch and then think about starting to get ready.

No comments: