Thursday, July 17, 2008

[18/07/08] No one mourns the Wicked

As Wicked is going to be in Melbourne for 12 months (that's how long Maggie Kirkpatrick has been signed for), I am definitely going to be seeing it again. Especially because I didn't get any merchandise. I want all the T-Shirts that aren't pink. I'm an Elphaba fan, not so much G(a)linda. Not that I don't like her, but Elphaba is a nerdfighter.

I know that everyone wants to know how the Australian Idol reunion concert was. Rob Mills is a better singer than he was 5 years ago, but his voice couldn't match Amanda Harrison's or Lucy Durack's. If he could sing as well as Amanda, As Long As You're Mine would've had the audience in tears. Also, if I had been closer (dress circle row T - for those of you who don't know, the dress circle is ABOVE the balcony), I may have felt more emotion, as I was unable to see any sort of facial expression. Anthony Callea's height was perfect for a munchkin, but his character is so morally... I don't even know. It's a pity he didn't have a role with more singing.

So Amanda and Lucy (I'm too lazy to type their full names, even though I don't know them personally) were amazing. Popular was as hilarious as it should've been, and Defying Gravity was easily the highlight of the show. And For Good came in second. Oh!!!! There were these awesome granita type drinks which I didn't get called Ozmopolitans, and and and they came in these plastic martini glasses whose necks have green lights in them. That's one of the reasons I'm going again, so I can get one. It's $10 and then $5 for a refill. Also, the Regent theatre is the only theatre I can ever remember letting you take food and drinks into the show.

So, reasons I need to see Wicked again: Ozmopolitans, merchandise and I want to see it with Kimmy, and maybe some other people. Also, it has the most amazing set and costumes, so I can see why it's on the Theatre Studies list of shows to see. I will have to run this by some people, as it will be expensive, but I think it would be awesome if for schoolies, we just went around and saw various productions in Melbourne for a week. Rocky Horror's going to be on at that time, so we can see those two shows, and maybe some plays that won't be as expensive.

Today is another special date in the world of Harry Potter, and especially nerdfighting, because it's a year since Accio Deathly Hallows, which brought me to the nerdfighting community, which is always there when I need it, just like a good book. That was a strange analogy.

Something I was going to write about on Wednesday but didn't, was that I read the Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde. It was fantastic (I wish Christopher Eccleston would say that for me). Perfect for a book nerd, as it's about a detective in an alternate universe who works for Special Operations as a LiteraTec, who makes sure everything is okay in the world of books.

I think that's all today, no wait! Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. Watch it. Sing along once you've seen it a few times and know all the words. And now I'm following it on Twitter. It's the 42nd person I'm following! Yay!

No comments: