Wednesday, July 30, 2008

[31/07/08] In which I ramble a bit about universities

Wow, I was just reading the part of the msn conversation last night that I missed because my mum was yelling at me, and it was seriously the best part >_> All because I asked if Byron was staying over. He did. Anyway, there was a town at Kat's house, Noosa at Lizy's house and I had Rocky over as well. I don't know why I'm saying any of this, as Kat is the only person who reads this blog and she was there, therefore she knows all of this.

Yesterday we got our VTAC guides on what subjects/scores we need for different university courses, and a little book that tells us the ENTER for what I think is every university course offered in the country. They should've done New Zealand too. Maybe they did, I didn't pay that much attention.

Anyway, there are some interesting things I found out. Because of the Melbourne Model, which is basically that if you want to do medicine, engineering or law you have to do an undergraduate degree first, like in the USA, a Bachelor of Arts at Monash has a predicted ENTER of 99.00 WTF? And Melbourne's has gone down to about an 85. Why are people so scared of change? If you really want to go to Melbourne (whose BA is ranked 7th in the WORLD) you go to Melbourne. Which is what I'm looking at at the moment - I'm interested in their courses and it's in the city. Also, Melbourne University is the oldest university in Australia and some of the buildings are beautiful. There's even this courtyard that I swear the WB ripped off for the Harry Potter movies (I know it's probably some English university, but I'd like it to be Melbourne).

I think VCAA needs to look at changing the way VCE works. I wonder if they're trying to fit so much information into our heads that they explode. Because Unit 3 is twice as long as Unit 4, but we still have the same number of SACs. So we pretty much have this term to do a shitload of study before exams, and half our weekend is going to be taken up by uni open days.

And that's all I'll say for today, as I have to get ready to go to the concert rehearsal which is at Monash uni. Huh. I think I may be back there on Sunday for an open day! I can't afford to, I have three SACs next week.

No comments: