Saturday, August 23, 2008

The History Boys: a review.

It is the year 1983, and there are a bunch of boys (one of them very good looking) in their final year of school in Yorkshire. They're the smart ones, so the school is trying to get them into Oxford and Cambridge. So they're called the "Oxbridge" boys. This movie has both Richard Griffiths and Frances de la Tour in it. They're fantastic. Also the boy who was in the Christmas special of Doctor Who - in the cockpit of the Titanic named Allonso. Hence the whole Allons-y Allonso thing.

These teachers are very determined to get this group into either Oxford or Cambridge - or the headmaster is. I don't think any of them went to either of those schools though. Now in 'general studies' they're playing music. And now they're speaking French. Someone said something about the conditional tense. Lol, "quelle belle jambe" - beautiful legs. And the headmaster walked in on them, so they're in trouble.

And I can't hear the movie because my uncle is over and he's talking to my mum. Also our kettle is ridiculously loud. And somehow they're mucking around again. I have no idea what's going on. Oh, the kettle's finished boiling. And it's started again.

That's a pretty awesome teacher, offering them rides on his motorbike. Though there are rules against getting a lift home from staff members at school. And I don't think any of my teachers have motorbikes. If they do, the school probably won't let them use them to travel to and form school to maintain its reputation.

"Did Jesus say can I be refused the crucifiction?" Best line. Though I like to get out of sport myself. Not that I've had to do sport since year 10. Trust that guy to have a mirror in his locker. And he just looked in it too. Despite not liking that teacher, he's obviously had an impact.

"What's truth got to do with it? What's truth got to do with anything?"

"Durham's good for history. It's where I had my first pizza. Other things too, but it's the pizza that stands out". This movie is full of good lines.

I swear that shot is from Australia. "A question is about what you know, it's not about what you don't know". Interesting. I don't think I could teach a group of boys so smart that they're as cocky as all hell. They are pretty funny though. Not that that'll get them into Oxford.

!!!! I worked out where the hot guy is from. It's Sky from Mamma Mia!!!! Dominic Cooper. As I said on Twitter, they should have him sing and take off his shirt again. Or more specifically the two of us can sing a duet of Lay All Your Love On Me.

I've just had to rewind (this is a nifty remote control, you can rewind with a device that is quite like an iPod wheel) because there's something I missed. Ah, he was caught with one of the boys on his motorbike. So it isn't legal. Or maybe it's something worse. "If you want to learn about Stalin, study Henry VIII". Ah, so they want to fire him for it. "So I assume your wife doesn't know." I'm trying to make sense of this. Okay, it was never properly explained.

"History is a varying and continuing commentary on the ineptitude of men!" So I <3 style="font-style: italic;">beautiful. Okay, I'm going to England. NOW. I wonder how the whole waiting scene will pan out. I'll have that for a month. And then another month. I need to pay more attention to this, I don't pay attention for a minute and then have no idea what's going on. Maybe some of them were applying to Oxford, others to Cambridge, I don't know.

LETTER TIME! Here's the mail it never fails, it makes me want to wag my tail, when it comes I want to wail MAIL!!!! And that's where this review will end, because the ending will not be spoiled.

EDIT: The film/dramatic techniques at the end were brilliant. See it for that, if nothing else.

No comments: